Free Flight Academy is very excited about returning to South Africa for some winter sunshine and flying as it is one of the best flying holiday destinations in the world.
Having spent eight years running yearly trips to South Africa, Lee has an extensive amount of experience and local contacts, which combined make this a real once in a life time trip.
We will be taking in the stunning sites of the famous garden route, so after arriving into Cape Town we will first be heading to the whale watching capital Hermanus. This picturesque sea side town plays host to many paraglider pilots who come to play on the 700ft, 15k ridge overlooking the Indian Ocean.
Next we’ll head up to Wilderness, this location offers a range of flying from beautiful coastal soaring at sites such as the aptly named Paradise Ridge to inland thermic flying at Sedgefield. One of the highlights in Wilderness is flying at the map of Africa, a unique flying site where you soar next to the coastal highway before heading down to land on the beach for an ice cream.
Having taken advantage of the big and forgiving takeoff and landing sites at Wilderness to warm up and dust off the winter flying cobwebs, we will then head to our final destination Porterville.
Porterville is one of the original XC destinations and has been home to many top-level XC competitions over the years. It is a unique XC flying site which benefits from sitting in the middle of a huge long ridge that is perfect to kick start an XC in either direction. Whilst in Porterville our sole focus will be on XC flying and to help you progress, each day the team we will set realistic goals for the different levels of pilot within the group.
In Porterville we will be staying at the Flyers Lodge which has become synonymous with paragliding. It has a swimming pool for cooling off and there will be plenty of time to enjoy a beer and relax whilst recounting stories of the day’s XC flying. It is also the perfect spot to watch the sunset over the savannah while the steaks cook on the BBQ
As this trip is instructor led we can accommodate most levels of pilot. There will be theory lectures and individually structured guiding to help each pilot get the most out of their flying. So whether you’re just starting at XC and looking for your first 30k or you are more experienced and gunning for the 100K in Porterville, get in touch and sign up for this trip of a lifetime.
The cost of the trip is £1,500 - inclusive of SAHPA membership and all site fees valued at £100.
- Pre-trip consultation to identify personal objectives
- Airport transfers (Subject to set pick up and drop off times: Pick up on 4th Jan will be at 13:30 and drop off on 18th Jan is 13:00.
- NB Please ensure arrival flights land no later than an hour prior to pick up and departure flights leave no earlier than 2 hours after the drop off time. If in doubt please contact us before booking your flights.
- Accommodation (combination of B&B, hotel and lodge most rooms are ensuite)
- Transport to each location, flying sites & XC retrieves
- Membership to SAHPA (South African Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association)
- Site fees at each location
- Expert tuition and endless enthusiasm
What to bring
- Glider in fully serviceable condition
- Suitable reserve parachute system that has been checked and repacked within the last 12 months.
- 2M Radio able to receive and transmit from 142.100 up to 146.400
- Sunhat / sunscreen
- Insect Repellant
- January 4th - January 18th
|Saturday - Jan 4th 2020||
Arrive - Cape Town (CPT)
|Transfer to Hermanus|
|Sunday - Jan 5th 2020||
Fly - Hermanus
|Transfer to Wilderness after flying|
|Monday to Saturday - Jan 6th - 11th 2020||
Fly - Wilderness
|Saturday - Jan 11th 2020||Transfer to Porterville after flying Wilderness|
|Sunday to Friday - Jan 12th - 17th 2020||
Fly - Porterville
|Saturday - Jan 18th 2020||
Departure - Cape Town (CPT)
|Transfer to Airport|